By: Vanessa Marino
The cold weather doesn’t mean you have to hibernate, it’s important to stay active even when the weather outside is frightful. Here are some tips to keep you motivated and moving during the cold winter months:
Working out indoors:
- Take a walk in the mall – grab a friend and go for a walk inside the mall where you can stay warm and still break a little sweat.
- Workout videos – there are so many workout videos available and exercise channels on your television that you can follow along in the comfort of your own home.
- Take advantage of the gym – now is the perfect time to get started at a local gym; you can even hire a personal trainer or join exercise classes for more motivation to achieve specific fitness goals.
- Do your chores – chores like sweeping, vacuuming and doing laundry are easy ways to get the heart pumping; 15 minutes of vacuuming burns 43 calories!
Working out outdoors:
- The leaves won’t rake themselves – bundle up and get some yard work done like raking the leaves or shoveling snow.
- Walk the dog – taking regular walks with the dog counts as a workout, even if the walks are short.
- Winter activities – things like skiing, ice skating and building a snow man are good ways to be active and enjoy the cold weather at the same time.
Always be safe and use safety equipment when working out or trying new activities. If you have heart problems or other health concerns, it is best to check with your doctor before you begin any new or heavy activities.